Monday, August 10, 2009

Work – Don’t’ aim reward

A young but earnest Zen student approached his teacher, and asked the Zen Master; “If I work very hard and diligently how long will it take for me to become a Zen Master?”
 
The Master thought about this, then replied “ Ten Years”
 
The student then said, “But what if I work very, very hard and really apply
myself to learn fast – How long then?”
 
Replied Master, “Well, twenty years”
 
“But if I really, really work at it. How long then? Asked the student.
 
“Thirty years” replied the Master
 
But I do not understand, at each time that I say I will work Harder, you say
it will take me longer. Why do you say that?”
 
Replied the Master “ When you have one eye on the reward, you only have one eye on the path”
 
Reflection : Travel sincerely along the Path, and the reward will take care of itself.
 
--- “You have a right to do your duty, but no right to the fruits of your actions. Never consider yourself the course of these, and never think of not doing your duty…..Bhagwad Gita”

No comments:

Post a Comment