Sunday, August 16, 2009

Beauty and Love


It’s raining again. Mostly I don’t mind. I love the sound of the drops all night long through my open window - greeting me softly as I cycle through the realms of sleep. Now, I’m up and drinking my tea in the gray and windy morning. It’s a perfect day to have to do things inside.

Recently, I’ve been thinking about beauty and love. Not about the abstract concepts, but about the calling of something so deep in my heart that it can’t be named. As much as I love doing things in the world, this place of depth and beauty is not about activity – or maybe it’s rather that the activity of this place is a stillness that contains everything.

I’m noticing (again) that I can consciously turn toward this deep place out of love rather than duty. Instead of working hard at one more thing, when I turn toward this depth it’s like greeting a long lost friend. No need for words or doing. It’s a great and familiar pleasure just to be in each other’s presence.

My wish for myself and all of us today is a greater appreciation of the grace of this beauty and love. Maybe just a momentary noticing how we are sustained and drawn forward in our lives – beyond all our knowing plans. Like adventurers lured on to explore the next mountain and then the next valley – the world endlessly and effortlessly offers itself to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment